2019-05-01

Wednesday, May 1, 2019


Editorial note: posted retroactively on July 6, 2020, with only minor edits.

The earliest memory I have that I can definitively label as gender dysphoria happened in early fifth grade. I remember standing in the spartan nook that pretended to be a bathroom, in the [house my family lived in at the time]. I don't actually know how long this took, but it felt like five eternities at least. With nothing but a second-hand comb and the trickle of water from the sink, I fought an unending war with my hair.

I just wanted that fucking mess to stop looking wrong. I was two decades away from being able to describe why it was wrong, but I didn't know that, and it didn't matter. Nothing I could do made a dent in the gnawing void of terror I had begun to feel. That shit was busted, and I didn't understand why, but I had this weird sort of foreboding sense that it was going to stay busted for a really long time.

I more or less shook it off... well, less, I suppose. I'm still dysphoric about my goddamn hair. I hated haircuts since forever. For a while I "explained" it as a latent phobia of shitty electric hair clippers. But even years after I'd ever actually had a bad experience with clippers, the very idea of someone touching my head remained horrifying. Fuck barbers.

To be clear, the very last time I went to a barber, I only went because of an extended pep talk from a very lovely woman who I was intensely interested in having a lot of sex with. [Spoilers from the future: it never worked out.] In the six-odd years since, I have exclusively cut my own hair.

Of course, by itself it isn't much, but I've been able to recognize that same emotional tinge in other memories, too.

I remember being upset for years as a kid that my arms were skinny and not muscular. What I'd done a pretty good job of not remembering is the point when I noticed my muscles bulking up finally. I should have been thrilled, by all rights, but I mostly just felt vaguely uncertain, and eventually tried to just forget the whole thing.

My voice has been a point of contention forever, too. I remember feeling awful through the entire process of it changing - but I assumed that was supposed to happen, since everyone seemed to expect it to feel awful. And then I remember the point where I sounded deeper and people commented on it... and that was worse, somehow. I remember half wishing I could still sound not-like-a-teenage-dude, but not really knowing how to comprehend that feeling. I remember finally resolving to never sing again, because it always just seemed to make me feel like shit.

I pretended to be kind of progressive or some shit for a long time - rah gender roles are evil, blah blah whatever. But it never really meant a whole lot to me on any significant level. I didn't really even comprehend how far I had to go. Since I've understood that I’m trans, it feels like that whole arena has completely changed for me. Wearing frilly underwear and squealing like a cat-girl is suddenly totally an option. I would have previously claimed that I didn't believe in the gender normativity bullshit, but for whatever reason, I treated a lot of things as off-limits. There's a weirder tangle in here than I think I'm going to unravel right now, but one way or another, now I really truly don't give a fuck about doing things that aren't "male enough" because fuck you, I'm not male in the first place.
I actually feel free, now, to just do things that I like to do. I'm really loving the sense of freedom and the thrill of discovering me, and whatever makes me feel amazing.




Post-script from Friday, May 3, 2019

[I finally understand] all those random moments where I had vague, wordless thoughts - something about an incongruity between me and the expectations I just sort of assumed I couldn't dislodge from everyone else... the ideas that I can now verbalize as "man it really sucks nobody else can tell I'm a girl."

1 comment:

  1. Looking back on this from The Future... so much has changed since then.

    My hair is well past my shoulders and regularly draws compliments now. I play with it constantly. My arms are softer and slightly more rounded, but still carry the muscle of someone in relatively decent shape. I love the way they look. I sing when I can reasonably expect my loud music to hide the occasional missed note or the creaks of vocal cords still being retrained.

    A complete stranger outside a grocery store the other day waved to get my attention, and asked "miss, would you be able to help support my school's sports team?"


    For all the pain, and ache, and the struggle captured in these posts - let alone the volumes more that never made it into words at all - this... this is why I did it. It's been worth every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete